Adding hops at flameout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franknferter

Reaction score
The instructions that I received say to add hops at flameout. I understand that once I move to wort off the burner to add the hops then. My question is what is the general preference of the members of the board when it comes to either filtering them out before primary or leaving them in during the primary fermentation.

Does it make that big of a difference in the end?

If left in would I have to rack to a secondary for another week or so after the primary fermentation is done as a way to filter out the particulates and let it clear up?

edit: they are pellet hops

It's gone both ways on here,but I'd put them in at flame out,cover the BK,& let it steep for 10 or 15 minutes before chilling the wort. Remove before adding to the fermenter.

I agree with unionrdr. To help reduce the amount of hop matter (trub) you move into your fermenter you could to a whirlpool after the wort has cooled. The low tech way of doing this is to sanitize your stirring spoon and stir your wort for a minute or two, something like 100 stirs should do it. Put your lid, which should also be sanitized, on your kettle and leave it alone for 30 minutes. The trub will settle to the bottom in the shape of a rounded cone. You can then siphon the cooled wort from along the sides of your kettle into your carboy/bucket for fermentation.

Or just use hop sacks. Grain sacks for whole or "raw" hops. They have more bulk for the same weight as pellets. Even easier,but both ways work. I also pour througha fine mesh strainer into the FV to get the wort & top off water aerated well too,besides straining out grainy stuff,etc.

i leave 'em in for the most part. i'll pour the wort through a strainer going into the fermenter, but plenty of hops make it through. pellets or whole, doesn't really matter, they won't hurt your beer.

We do use a kitchen strainer when pouring from the kettle. I wouldn't worry about them though, they'll settle out in your fermentor and it won't hurt your beer.

The instructions that I received say to add hops at flameout. I understand that once I move to wort off the burner to add the hops then. My question is what is the general preference of the members of the board when it comes to either filtering them out before primary or leaving them in during the primary fermentation.

Does it make that big of a difference in the end?

If left in would I have to rack to a secondary for another week or so after the primary fermentation is done as a way to filter out the particulates and let it clear up?

edit: they are pellet hops
If its a lot of hops, like >3oz, you may have vegetable type flavors in the primary. If its <3oz, then let it ride into the primary. The additional surface area of the hops and cold break in the fermentor will provide additional surface area for the yeast to have sex on..... Until you do a side by side for your system you will never know the exact effect, these are only generalizations; brew at your own risk;)

Its only 1oz of Amarillo going in, so nothing too crazy. I have hop sacks that I will be using. I was mainly interested in how it would effect the beer and if it was it worth the little hassle of straining.

On a side note this is my first homebrew ever and I believe my first post on here. I have been reading on here for quite some time now and just want to thank everyone for their information and help.

Back