Adding honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mortician44

Reaction score
I'm planning on adding honey to a cream ale. Do I put the honey in during the boil or in the secondary or add it at another time.

i have a honey ale on tap right now. 15 minutes was boil-time for me. sterilizes it, and still keeps the honey essence

I add honey at flameout. Boiling honey isn't particularly conducive to adding honey flavor. I used to do it at 10 mins, but saw a thread on here suggesting flameout and I can get the same amount of flavor with about 1/3 less honey this way.

You won't get much honey character IMO if you add it before fermentation but you will get a drier beer. I've tried this in the past and hated the results.

If what you are looking for is honey character then add honey malt to your grain bill.

I think of honey kind-of like hops. The later the addition to the boil, the stronger the aroma and flavor. Earlier additions lend a less potent flavor and more of a background flavor. I've never added it to the secondary but I'd be sure to pastuerize it before adding (hold at 160 for 15 minutes or so).

You won't get much honey character IMO if you add it before fermentation but you will get a drier beer. I've tried this in the past and hated the results.

If what you are looking for is honey character then add honey malt to your grain bill.

+1

I had the exact same experience. I added the honey at flameout and ended up with a fizzy dry pale ale with little or no honey aroma or flavor. Like os said, the best honey beers use honey malt, not honey.

Latest posts

Back