Adding honey to the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'd like to add honey to an amber ale I have in the fermenter. I included some directly to the boil for the increased alc content, but I'd like to capture more of the honey characteristics by adding it to the primary. How do I need to heat treat honey before adding it to the carboy?

I'm not one to leave things to chance or "normally", so I would pasteurize the honey prior to adding to the fermenter.
Don't boil it though - bring it to 140°F in a pot (or ideally a double-boiler) and hold it there for 15 minutes and you're good to go.
If this is a five gallon or larger batch and a pound or two of honey you don't even need to cool it down, just pour it in and give it a gentle swirl.

Note, however, that unless your batch has reached the alcohol tolerance of the yeast used, the honey will totally ferment out, leaving barely a wisp of character...

Cheers!

Correct....the honey will ferment out, not much honey flavor added. Get some honey malt & steep that, prior to the boil. This will add more sweetness / honey flavor.
Cheers

I add raw honey directly to the ferm after peak krausen. The sugar content is super high so no worry of infections. No need to pasteurize. Real honey has no expiration date.

I do fill a jar partially with honey and then add some beer from the fermenter spigot and shake it good to liquify the honey a bit and dump it in. Helps to break up the thick honey and blend it in the fermenter a bit better. Probably don't really need to. But it will sink to the bottom immediately otherwise. I think the yeast will find it anyway.

I don't know how these guys did it but it had a really good honey flavor .

Attachments

• IMG_20200803_185701.jpg
    IMG_20200803_185701.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
In my experience adding actual raw honey to the fermentor will provide some aromas but not flavor. For honey flavor you really do need to use honey malt but it is so easy to overdo. A little goes a long way. For an Amber ale I would put a limit on honey malt at like 3% of the grain bill.

A local brewery here just had a Hibiscus Honey Gose and it was way over the top honey for my tastes. When I tasted it I said it was CRAZY honey and they were shocked because apparently I was the first person to even be able to identify it as honey which was even crazier to me...

Anyway, I may have just set a new personal record for number of times I've said 'honey' in a few sentences accept for when I'm annoyed and sarcastically responding to my wife lol. Cheers!

Back