Adding honey to an oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strykkerj

Reaction score
I just recently made my first batch of homebrew and while it's fermenting I'm trying to plan out my next batch. I've been looking around and can't really find any honey oatmeal stout recipes, but it's something I'm really interested in.

I've seen suggestions for adding honey as priming sugar, during high krausen, and just as part of the original wort, but which is best for getting that delicious honey flavor into my stout?

I just recently made my first batch of homebrew and while it's fermenting I'm trying to plan out my next batch. I've been looking around and can't really find any honey oatmeal stout recipes, but it's something I'm really interested in.

I've seen suggestions for adding honey as priming sugar, during high krausen, and just as part of the original wort, but which is best for getting that delicious honey flavor into my stout?

Since honey is fully fermentable, you generally don't get much honey flavor from honey. It actually can "thin" the body of the beer, so I wouldn't recommend much, if any, for an oatmeal stout.

For a honey flavor, you could try honey malt. That is a specialty malt that gives some sweetness and honey flavor to a beer.

So even if I use honey as the priming sugar, I wouldn't get much honey flavor?

Correct- the honey would ferment (and carbonate the beer) so very little, if any, honey flavor would remain as a result.

In a beer like a stout with roasty flavors, I don't think that the honey flavor would come through at all.

I've made mead (actually as my first fermented product), and while it does have great flavour, it's much like vanilla. You have to be looking for the subtlety to recognize it. Honey in beer is pretty much useless, as the other posts have suggested. The only way to have the true sweetness of honey is to make sure that you are carbonated and at the alcohol tolerance of the yeast.

I like tossing a pound into a wheat beer 10min before flameout. my American Blonde has a pound of honey in it, and if you focus, you can taste it....

it also fermented down to 1.008 which i think is largly in part to the honey..

I used 3lbs of honey on my weizen at 30min and you can still catch a hint of it on the aftertaste but you have to really look for it. But in my opinion you can't beat it as an extra fermentable sugar for boosting the alcohol. It's pretty much idiot-proof since honey has inherent antimicrobial properties.

While we're on the topic, is it possible to add honey to the fermenter as a booster?

Back