Adding homegrown cascade hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninkas1

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning my fourth batch of eBIAB Amarillo Pale Ale recipe using the great BIABacus excel sheet. My friend grew and then dehydrated 1 pound of cascade hops. They smell great and I would like to add to my upcoming brew planned for next week. T

The original recipe I have calls for 3 hop additions of Amarillo pellets:

60 min is 16.25 grams
20 min is 20.7 grams
5 minutes is 23.4 grams

My plan is to use the amarillo pellets in the recipe for the 60 and 20 min hop additions but then substitute the 5 min (aroma) addition for the cascade hops. I choose substituting the 5 minute hop addition based on another thread.

Any other info needed?

Could anyone help me estimate how much of the dehydrated cascade hops to use? Thanks!

If they are fully dried, then I would probably just use a little bit more than what your recipe calls for...maybe 26 to 30 grams. What size batch is this?

I have not tasted it yet, but I have a 5-gallon batch of an IPA fermenting that had 4.3 oz of homegrown Chinook added both at 10 min and in a hop steep (so about 240 grams total!).

Between my vine and a friend's, I have a lot of dried cascade this year also. I've been using on 1.5 times the leaf as I usually use pellets. These hops smell good, but do not seem quite as strong and commercial ones, so this ratio has been working out, beer tasting as it should.

I would not hesitate to use leaf hops in earlier additions too, as it binds w the hot break and makes for cleaner wort into fermentor, at least with my system.

Thanks for the replies. My predicted volume in the fermenter is 17.5 litres. I will toy with the idea of using the cascade hopes for the 20 min addition also. Do you just throw them in? or put them in a nylon bag?

Whole leaf have a -10% extraction efficiency versus pellets for bittering. But using them just at the 5min mark, you shouldn't notice a difference. Keep in mind whole leaf absorb more wort than pellets, so you'll be getting a bit less wort from the runoff if you don't compensate. Not significant, but not nothing, either.

I would substitute equally for the Amarillo in the recipe. If you find the cascades are lacking you can always add a dry hop addition of more cascades.

I ended up using 1.5 times the original hop recipe and using the cascade for the final two hop additions. I just threw the dessicated whole flowers in. Tasted great….thanks all!

Back