Adding grains at temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petemoss

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I have gone to BIAB from extract and have several batches under my belt, but am still new to it. So, historically I have used BeerSmith to tell me what temperature to bring my water to (say 159) such that when I add my grains it will cool down to the proper mash temperature.

I have been reading about other rests that you can perform at lower temperatures, acid rest, protein rest, etc. Not that I am saying I would like to incorporate any of these rests, but it does make me wonder, since it is apparently okay for the grain to be at these lower temperatures.

Is there any reason to heat the water to this higher than needed temperature and then let the grain cool it back down? Could I simply start my water heating up and add the grains, stir it around, and let it heat up to the exact mash temp, then call it good? I have missed my mash temp several times due to the overheat and cool method, and I thought this might help me hit where I want to be. Any pros or cons either way that you can think of.

Thanks,
PeteMoss

You need to recirc to keep the wort moving or you will get the temp in some spots high enough to denature the enzymes. You should try using a calculator and the formulas in Palmers How to Brew book, that's what I do and am within 1* every time.

Lol I just dump them in at 100 degrees and do a slow rise to my mash temp. Of course I stir periodically.

If you have an accurate grain weight and dry grain temp, then the calculators are very accurate with an accurate water volume and temperature for single infusion BIAB.

Thanks guys. It sounds like it is doable as long as I take care not to overheat any portion of the mash. I think for now I will just work with the calculators more carefully and try to do it like I was previously.

Heating the mash from a lower temperature to your target mash temp (called a temperature mash) will give you a different mash profile. For instance, if you start your mash at 145F and heat (with A LOT of stirring) to 154F you will end up with a more fermentable wort and different body and FG than if you mashed the entire time at 154F. It will be a different beer. This is because you will have mashed some at 145, some at 146, etc, etc. Each temp effects mash enzymes differently.

Heating the mash from a lower temperature to your target mash temp (called a temperature mash) will give you a different mash profile. For instance, if you start your mash at 145F and heat (with A LOT of stirring) to 154F you will end up with a more fermentable wort and different body and FG than if you mashed the entire time at 154F. It will be a different beer. This is because you will have mashed some at 145, some at 146, etc, etc. Each temp effects mash enzymes differently.

I doubt it really. Time is the biggest factor here. Now I do a gradual mash at times because I do want to create a more fermentable wort for a crushable lager. However if I mashed in at 145 and it only took 5 minutes to get to 154 then the enzymatic activity at the lower temp didn't have much time to do its thing. Better to start lower and raise up to rest temp than start too high and not be able to get back down in time without denaturing enzymes. This is very important to remember in Biab. Also I am willing to bet that nobody could tell a single difference in a beer doughed in at 145 then brought quickly to 154 than if you just dough in and settle perfectly at 154.

Sorry, it appeared your previous post was advocating dough in at 100 and a slow rise to mash temp. I just wanted to be sure the OP wasn't thinking there was no difference between a straight mashin and a ramp up. Yes, if you can dough in 10 degrees low and raise the temp fast enough and keep stirring to keep the temp gradient reasonably even and not scorch the grain or bag and not overshoot your mash temp once you reach it, you should be fine.

Or you can use one of the calculators to figure strike temp. I use the BeerSmith infusion calculator in the Tools section which corrects for tun weight and specific heat as well as current temp. With accurate grain weight and an accurate thermometer (and good stirring) I have never missed my mash temp by more than a degree or two. Just to be safe, if I am mashing high (>154) I will shoot 1 or 2 degrees low and give it some heat if I need to.

Yeah sorry OP. I do sometimes dough in at 100 degrees but that is when I am trying to make a dry beer... Hence the reason my last beer attenuated like 88% with wlp940 lol. But yes if doing full volume then I would dough in a few degrees below your target temp and then let it ramp up quickly.

Thanks guys. That all make sense. I seem to be at tad over temp most of the time. I will try shooting for a strike temp a couple of degrees low and then raise it if I need to.

Back