Adding grain to mash tun first.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishlep

Reaction score
John Palmer says in his book How TO Brew that I should add my grain first to the mash tun and then add a gallon of water and mix in with grain until I have added all the mash water. I see online where most people add water first then add all there grain at once and mix it in. Is there a difference ? Or does both ways work the same ?.

Since I direct fire my mash tun to heat the water, I add the grain to the mash tun (would be kind of difficult the other way). Depending on how thick you're mashing, you might want to add about half the grist, stir/mix well, then add the balance before starting the timer. I've found that to make dough-balls easier to remove.

Keep in mind, there are several ways to actual mash, or to get to the saccharification stage. Most of us find a method that works really well for our hardware set (or current hardware set) and keep going that way.

When I was using a cooler for my mash tun, I would always add the water to the mash tun first, then add the grain. Worked really well for me then too.

i mash in a cooler, so I add my mash water first and let it heat up the tun for about ten minutes, then add my grain. Works for me, I usually get between 72-75 efficiency.

Back