adding gelatin to empty keg before transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_g08

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I've brewed for about 17 years, but only recently bought kegging supplies. I am bringing a keg to a party, but want to remove sediment first.

I currently have chilled beer (34 degrees or so) in a serving keg, following a transfer from a secondary ferm (keg). The transfer didn't go so well, as my dip tube on the secondary was nearly flush with the bottom (think 50% beer, 50% C02 bubbles). The beer in the serving keg is still a bit cloudy. Given that it will be hauled in a car for a few hours, I want to remove all the sediment I can.

I shortened the dip tube 1/2" on the secondary ferm keg after the earlier debacle. I plan to prepare gelatin with heated water (BierMuncher's procedure), and add to the bottom of this keg just prior to transfer. After a day or two, I plan to transfer back into the serving keg.

I figure the incoming beer will mix well with the gelatin by this method. Sound reasonable?

Thanks,

well,

I gave it a whirl last night. I'll transfer to the serving keg tonight, or early tomorrow morning. I hope it does the trick.

I sounds like it should. My understanding with gelatin is that it will settle the first time fairly well but if it gets roused then it is no likely to settle again, so the key is to keep treat it gently after the fining until you get it transferred back over to your final keg. Keep us posted on how it works out for you.

I've done it both ways adding gelatin to the keg first or after i rack the beer. both have worked. Cold beer being racked in each case

I use 1/2 tsp of gelatin in 1/2 cup cold water, allow it to bloom for 15 mins. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir, add it.

Hello everyone.

I've brewed for about 17 years, but only recently bought kegging supplies. I am bringing a keg to a party, but want to remove sediment first.

I currently have chilled beer (34 degrees or so) in a serving keg, following a transfer from a secondary ferm (keg). The transfer didn't go so well, as my dip tube on the secondary was nearly flush with the bottom (think 50% beer, 50% C02 bubbles). The beer in the serving keg is still a bit cloudy. Given that it will be hauled in a car for a few hours, I want to remove all the sediment I can.

I shortened the dip tube 1/2" on the secondary ferm keg after the earlier debacle. I plan to prepare gelatin with heated water (BierMuncher's procedure), and add to the bottom of this keg just prior to transfer. After a day or two, I plan to transfer back into the serving keg.

I figure the incoming beer will mix well with the gelatin by this method. Sound reasonable?

Thanks,

Thats pretty much what I do. I rack from the primary to a keg with gelatin and then put it in the fridge to carbonate. after about a week I attach a party faucet and blast out the sediment until its pouring reasonably clear. I then transfer to a clean purged keg for serving using a hose with 2 out connectors. If the beer is something I want extremely clear, I sometimes add a second dose of gelatin when transferring to the serving keg. Fined kegs don't resettle very well the second time so avoid moving a gelatined keg.

This is a pretty good video on preparing gelatin [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYaVaCyT2yY[/ame]

Huh. Is that what most people use? I always use a heaping tablespoon in a cup or so of water. Am I using too much gelatin?

I use 1/2 to 1 teaspoon in 4-5 oz water per 5 gallons depending on how much fining I perceive that the beer needs.

Huh. Is that what most people use? I always use a heaping tablespoon in a cup or so of water. Am I using too much gelatin?

Initially I used a Tbsp as per Biermuncher. This worked.

Next time I read the label on my gelatin (stated 1/2 tsp per 5 gallons) so I split the difference and used 1 tsp. This worked.

Next time 3/4 tsp. This worked

Next time I said to myself; follow the instructions on the label. I used 1/2 tsp and this worked.

Each time the gelatin soln. was added to cooled beer (34F approx).

This is an example of 1/2 tsp in a crash cooled 5 gallon batch. An ESB

Common Room ESB picture.jpg

I cold crash and gelatin fine in the fermenter, and put crystal clear beer in the kegs. No worries if I need to move the kegs, then.

After a day or two, I plan to transfer back into the serving keg.,

Let us know how this turns out. I have not tried gelatin in beer yet, but thought it would take longer than a day or two so I am curious. I have been getting pretty clear beer by just cold crashing the fermenter for 7-10 days but if Gelatin works in a day or two I may try it.

Oh and if its still cloudy, just serve it in Solo cops and no one will know :mug:

It looks decent after one day. I didn't snap a pic, but it isn't glass clear, but pretty close. I believe the cups will be semi opaque so will work fine. My real aim was to remove the yeast sediment derived flavors, and I think that was achieved well enough. Not too bad for a 3-week old batch with a number of newbie kegging blunders.

By the way, this batch was brewed with 10 mL of clarity ferm for gluten reduction. My super-sensitive gluten intolerant wife sampled about 5 oz last night, and it seems to have passed her test.

re: 5 mL clarity ferm vs. 10 mL: if you listened to the basic brewing podcast on the topic, I believe their experimental results with 5mL were just as effective for gluten reduction as 10 mL, FWIW.

Back