Adding gelatin at bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
Anyone added gelatin at bottling?

I have a brett beer (Brett as the primary yeast) that I am planning to bottle next weekend. It will be 7 weeks since I brewed it. It is taking a long time to clear, and wondered if adding gelatin at bottling would help.

Anyone had any issues with gelatin in the bottle?

I wouldn't do it. Just add to carboy.

It might work... I've never tried in the bottle. But my intuition is saying that it would end up a wormy mess that would slither into my glass.

If you do try this, make sure to post back here with the result. I'd be interested.

^ This. Yep, IIRC gelatin needs the vertical distance offered by a keg or fermenter to allow the suspended yeast and proteins to coagulate and drop out. And it works best in conjuction with a cold crash and/or cold conditioning. Bottling requires much warmer temperatures for carbonation. I think you would end up with beer jello.

I have used gelatin at bottling time three times now (I add it after the priming sugar, when I'm in the middle of racking to the bottling bucket). No slugs or beer jello in any batch and it works just as well. The only issue I have seen with this method is that the yeast/protein might tend to cling to the sides of the bottle, wich can be unsightly, but it doesn't affect the beer in any way.

I have used gelatin at bottling time three times now (I add it after the priming sugar, when I'm in the middle of racking to the bottling bucket). No slugs or beer jello in any batch and it works just as well. The only issue I have seen with this method is that the yeast/protein might tend to cling to the sides of the bottle, wich can be unsightly, but it doesn't affect the beer in any way.

Excellent!

Clings to the side of the bottle. Sounds ........... well ...... strange. Not sure what to say.

I ended up adding to carboy.

How long does it take to work. I'm not cold crashing (not able). I',m used to leaving it a couple of weeks, but I want to bottle this 4 or 5 days after adding the gelatin.

^^^ Well, it's strange, but I'm the type of guy who will hold the bottle to a strong light to revel in a beer's clearness ! But I can assure you that you can use gelatin at bottling time without any harm to the beer. It works also pretty fast. 5-6 days at room temperature usually does the trick. I have yet to see a beer remain murky when I pop my first bottle at day 7 to check for carb problems.

Back