Adding fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg83

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Long time Brewer here but never had great success with fruit. I'm brewing all the beer for my brothers wedding and his wife to be requested a strawberry ale. I went with a basic strawberry wheat beer. Just to be safe I tried to pasteurized the 10 pounds frozen strawberrys. I mashed them up and Made a sludge with a teeny amount of extract, bagged it up in paint strainer and racked the beer on top. I previously cold crashed the beer and it's sitting at 40 degrees now. Should I leave it at that temp or raise it? I'm hesitant about raising it because I don't want any nasties growing. Will the fruit flavor leech out at 40 degrees?

Thanks for any help in advance!

There are sugars in the fruit that need to ferment out before packaging. I think you will need to raise the temp so wake the yeast back up to start fermentation again. I wouldn't worry about an infection, you pasteurized the fruit and there is alcohol in the beer.

Thanks! It will be staying cold in a keg from now until wedding day. Would that still be an issue?

Back