Adding Fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SailorJerry

Reaction score
So, we are making a pear beer which is currently fermenting. Our original plan was to rack the beer onto some canned pear halves and the concentrate/juice that they sit in. However, I'm wondering if racking it onto pear juice would be better?

We aren't looking for an upfront pear flavor, but something subtle. And yes, we know that we probably aren't going to get much pear flavor anyway, as it's a pretty tasteless fruit. It was a request from the SWMBO's, so we are appeasing them by trying it.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure about using the canned pears, but can you find frozen pears? From what I have read, racking onto frozen fruit is always good b/c the frozen fruit is less likely to introduce anything nasty. Don't hold me to that, but off hand thats what I recall. I have seen recipes that add straight fruit juice to the fermenter or the end of the boil. So I would assume the juice approach would be ok.

I make a DFH Tweason'ale clone for my wife and I rack onto 6lbs of frozen strawberries. Never had any issues and it's always a hit with her and her friends.

Interesting, never thought of the frozen route. I just doubt frozen pears are going to give me much, if any, flavor at all. But, I like the idea....I think. The fermentor has been bubbling every 5-10 seconds since Sunday morning, so I still have a week or so to get my ducks in a row :)

Canned puree / fruit has been pasteurized so it's safe to use. Frozen fruit is usually also flash frozen so no bacteria (IMO).

You could also try something like Vintners Harvest Pear Fruit Base

If it was me, I'd try to macerate the fruit a bit to allow the yeast access to more surface area.

96oz can? Holy cow! Would you recommend using it all? That'd sure make for an expensive beer!

I make an apricot IPA. I use a
#10 can of apricots, after I use an imersion blender on them. Juice and all. Works and tastes good.

Back