Adding fruit to mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivypunx

Reaction score
Any suggestions on methods. Do you chop or smash the fruit or add it whole? Amounts for 1 gallon? Just looking for tips

Typically, it's best to freeze the fruit first, let it thaw and add. The freezing makes the juice more accessible by freeze fracturing the fruit.

I've used 2-8 lbs per gallon depending on the fruit intensity and what I wanted the final product to turn out like.

Better brewing through science!

See my brewing site at www.denardbrewing.com

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

I've taken the fruit, while frozen, and hit it with the blender to break it up. Then I'll let it sit overnight in the fermenter to thaw out before pitching the yeast. Works great.

Depends on the fruit. I pit cherries, I quarter plums, I just crush berries, I roughly chop raisins in the food processor. I always do a freeze/thaw, freeze/thaw with fruit, meaning I freeze & thaw it twice. It really helps to break down cell walls & soften up the fruit. I mash it roughly with a potato masher & contain it in a mesh sack during primary. I just add it to the carbouy in secondary.
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back