adding fruit to beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinholbrook

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and also brewing. That being said I wanted to make and apple ale and on my first one I added and apple mash to the secondary fermantation. We yielded a very low fg and alcohol with the beer, I'm thinking about doing another batch and I was wondering if it would be better to add the fruit during the boil or do the same as the last one and add more yeast?

I'd skip the apples in the boil. You don't want boiled apple flavor. Add more apples to your secondary fermentor than you used last time. Selece a lower-attenuating (british?) yeast. Consider infusing some vodka with apples (a homemade "apple extract") and dosing your bottling bucket to taste. A small addition of commercial apple extract will really bring home the apple taste. Apples are a mild flavored fruit, it's a tough flavor to deliver. Good luck.

Hey beergeek thanks, we were supposed to bottle this past sunday and after finding out our issues we left it in the fermentor for a little longer would you recommend repitching more yeast and let it sit for another week or are these sugars no longer fermentable?

About a year ago I made an amber ale, and ended up putting a couple pounds of apples into secondary after I sliced them up and roasted them in the oven. After letting them sit for about a week I bottled it. It had a great flavor, akin to apple pie.

I wouldn't worry about the additional sugars, they should have minimal contributions to the beer.

Back