Adding fruit for a little flavor/aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camthrowsdown

Reaction score
Was thinking about making a pale ale or something close to it and adding some fruit to get a little of the flavor and and little taste.

My question what is the best time to add the fruit? End of boil, start it fermentation?

Camthrowsdown

I add it 3 days into the primary. I use pasteurized pureed fruit.

Sent from phone while sitting on the John

When adding fruit, not extract, how you compensate for the added sugars? I want to add fruit to some of my brews, but I am concerned. Friend made a strawberry kölsch once and every bottle erupted when it was opened. Great flavor, but not much was left to drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When adding fruit, not extract, how you compensate for the added sugars? I want to add fruit to some of my brews, but I am concerned. Friend made a strawberry kölsch once and every bottle erupted when it was opened. Great flavor, but not much was left to drink.

give it time to ferment before packaging.

Also, when using fruit you have to figure out a way to make sure you don't get any solid material into the bottles becuase it will create nucleation sites and cause gushing. so long cold crash, maybe some time in bright vessel (secondary) . Some folks will put a brand new nylon stocking (leggs) over the end of the racking cane to stop any solid from getting to the bottling bucket.

Leave it to ferment out, it wont really change your gravity at all but should be allowed to ferment out before you bottle.

Normally I let my secondary sit for a week. If I add fruit after the transfer to secondary, is there a good amount of time to keep it in the secondary?

Normally I let my secondary sit for a week. If I add fruit after the transfer to secondary, is there a good amount of time to keep it in the secondary?

do you have the ability to cold crash it? ideally you want to let it sit till it is bright. all yeast (not really all, but close) have settled out and all visible bits have also settled. then rack off carefully to avoid any gunk. you might have to leave a bit more than you'd like behind to avoid gushers in the bottle

Back