Adding Fruit flavored syrup before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaceyaquarius

Reaction score
I attempted using BSG fuit flavoring to a 5 gallon batch of Belgian Ale (blue moon clone), poured 75% in 9 days into the first fermenting bucket, then poured the last 25% in the day of bottling.

Did not taste any flavoring beyond the normal bitter orange peel that came with the kit.

Now I'm going to attempt using a syrup to flavor the next batch tomorrow or the next day before bottling, 5 gallons of Blue Moon clone Belgian Ale, I have a Mango syrup because I bought the Mango flavored Blue Moon a few weeks ago.

I have no idea how much to put in. The link below is the BSG peach flavoring that was 4 oz.

Since this Mango is syrup (bad photo below) is it stronger? Hmm.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/bsg-peach-flavoring-additive-to-belgian-wit.642801/

Last edited:
I’ve never heard of anyone adding the extract during fermentation. It’s always been at bottling. Not sure if that somehow detracted from the taste or not. I’ve used 3/4 of a hazelnut in a brown and found it a bit mild and the whole bottle of apricot to a wheat and thought it was spot on (5.25 gal batches).

Just to point this out- flavor extracts are typically oils in an alcohol base.

Monin syrups are sugar water with fruit flavor. Yeast eat sugar.

Not sure why extract didn’t take, but typically its used at packaging. The syrup is likely to disappoint as well, eaten by the yeast. Its possible that it will leave behind more flavor than actual mango fruit will, but it will definitely kick up fermentation again. And that tends to dull fruit flavors in beer. Which is why most fruit (which has sugar) is added in secondary.

I bottle a passion fruit cream ale for my wife. I add two pumps to each bottle. I use fizz drops to carbonate. There is a subtle passionfruit aroma and taste after carbing.

Back