Adding fruit (flavor) to a BB Blonde kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So my husband (HWMOM, let's see who gets it) is really getting into this hobby of mine; not really helping with the actual brewing but throwing out beer styles he wants me to brew. I've done one AG and some recipes, and one Brewers Best dunkelweizen. What he wants is a BB Imperial Blonde kit with Blackberry flavor added. It's the wrong time of year to use fresh berries so will have to use the flavoring. What I want to know is, has anyone added fruit to a blonde and how did it turn out? I was thinking a Wit would be a better option but he wants the Blonde (just like a man). Thanks!!

Blonde is a good style for fruit. The fairly neutral flavors allow the fruit to shine. Many people use frozen berries rather than fresh as the fruit breaks down a bit easier, they can also be tossed in a sanitized food processor or blender and then poured into the fermenter. Extract flavorings work well and can be added at packaging (to bottles with a dropper, or all at once).

Wow thank you, that helps a lot! I will probably go with a combination of frozen & some flavoring, any ideas on how much of each for a 5 gallon batch?

It depends on how much fruit flavor you want. Blackberries tend to give a lot of flavor and color with just a couple pounds per 5 gallons. With the extract, take a few 4 oz samples and add drops until you get the flavor you want then either add drops to the bottles or scale it up to full batch for kegging. May take some math, but it's not rocket science.

Latest posts

Back