Adding flavoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaperOnefour

Reaction score
Hello all. I just tried an American red ale (extract) that I recently made. It's the northern Brewer radical red ale one gallon kit. It came out pretty good. However, it didn't have that much of a caramel flavor to it. I want to add some caramel extract to the bottling bucket on bottling day. ( The next time I make it of course.) I don't want it to be to strong. I'm looking for a nice sutle after taste. The thing is I don't know how much of the extract to add to the bottling bucket. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I appreciate any advice.

If you could I'd let it age out for a bit. You might find that as the hops mellows and the beer comes together and smooths out, there is a little more malt or caramel than you're tasting now. Next time you could try steeping an oz or two of whichever crystal malt you like in your brewing water before adding your LME too, instead of the caramel extract. :mug:

I let it sit for two weeks, then threw it in the fridge for one week. So maybe I'll let it sit for three weeks before throwing it in the fridge. Is it better to cold or warm condition? ( After carbonation is complete.)

The instructions on the fermenters favorite caramel extract says add 4oz for a 5 gallon batch. So I was thinking maybe I should add 2 ounces for a one gallon batch. Any thoughts on that?

I just recently did an Orange cream ale with orange extract. I read to use 4oz of orange extract for 5 gallons. Being new, I only used 2oz to be safe into my keg..... WAY TOO OVERPOWERING orange extract burn and bitterness. I would recommend being VERY careful with extract amounts.

If you could I'd let it age out for a bit. You might find that as the hops mellows and the beer comes together and smooths out, there is a little more malt or caramel than you're tasting now. Next time you could try steeping an oz or two of whichever crystal malt you like in your brewing water before adding your LME too, instead of the caramel extract. :mug:

The kit comes with steeping grains (I presume crystal/caramel since the recipe touts the caramel flavor). The kit instructions call for adding the grain bag to water and then bring to a boil which should put the grains in mash temps sufficiently to extract the un-fermentable sugars.

Fermentation temperature and yeast strain can also affect the caramel flavor, but I also agree with you about letting this age to mellow. IMO, caramel from crystal malts is subtle so the OP may need extract to get a pronounced caramel flavor, if that is what he seeks.

For the OP, hopefully someone has done this before and can provide first hand experience, but since it's your taste buds, this is likely going to be trial and error (which is part of the attraction of one gallon brewing). If it were me, I'd add 2 tsp, stir carefully to avoid oxygen, taste the flat beer and add more if needed.

Thanks fellas for the helpful tips. I think your right though Mike. I'm just gonna have to play with it, until I get it where I want it.

Latest posts

Back