Adding flavor???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunwolf

Reaction score
My 3 gal batch of peach wine is in the second carboy...getting pretty clear and should be ready to bottle by the new year(I'm patient)
My question is: I taste at every racking and the wine did not have a clear peach taste...I know this is common in peach wine,my local supply shop had recommended some peach concentrated drops that you add to the wine.
Has anyone done this? when do I add? and how much for 3 gal? the supply shop could not answer my questions.

Thanks

I would suggest maybe racking onto some fresh peach fruit, made into cubes, this should lend some more "clear peach" taste, it worked great for my apple wine and my pineapple wine, and whenever I do a fruit wine, I now put more of the fruit into the secondary. Gives it much more fresh taste and does wonders for the nose.

+ 1 on racking onto more fruit in secondary; not only does it add more fruit flavour, but it can also add some depth to those fruit flavours.

Just a quick question-What do ya do to the fruit to make surre it doesn't contain any nasties that'll ruin your batch after getting it to the secondary ? Shane

Just a quick question-What do ya do to the fruit to make surre it doesn't contain any nasties that'll ruin your batch after getting it to the secondary ? Shane
I am very sanitary and use campton at every racking...this isn't my first rodeo...just want to know about flavor additives.

Can you add flavor to wine after all the processes are done. I have added the clearing and potassium carbonate. When I tasted the wine before bottling it, the wine tasted just like alcohol and no flavor.. Please help...

Aleta

Can you add flavor to wine after all the processes are done. I have added the clearing and potassium carbonate. When I tasted the wine before bottling it, the wine tasted just like alcohol and no flavor.. Please help...

Aleta

Potassium carbonate? I think you mean potassium sorbate?

Yes, there are definitely things you can do before bottling to make a wine taste correct. Things like tannin, acid blend, etc, all could be used. It really depends on the recipe and the current flavor of the wine.

Thank you I was making a peach wine and when I tasted it today it had no flavor other than an alcohol taste. I had used a peach concentrate from my local wine company.. I will go back and see about the options you suggested.

Thank you I was making a peach wine and when I tasted it today it had no flavor other than an alcohol taste. I had used a peach concentrate from my local wine company.. I will go back and see about the options you suggested.

Does it taste bland? Or maybe not so bad but missing fruitiness? Sometimes, fruit wines surprise people because the wine doesn't taste like the fruit. For example, a merlot doesn't taste like grapes and peach wine doesn't taste like peaches. There might be an essence of peach in the aroma, but it should be a light fruity white wine, like a pinot grigio. If it's missing that, it could have been just a lack of flavor from the concentrate.

Did you follow the directions exactly? how much concentrate for how many gallons? Sometimes, trying to "stretch" the concentrate by making a larger batch is the culprit.

If you are planning to use the fruit flavorings from brewers best, try them in a small amount of the wine first, maybe a 1/4 glass, they can be outright nasty! Doing a bench trial like this might save you from ruining the whole batch.

Back