Adding first can of extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comicsandbeer83

Reaction score
So I have done this both ways and both seem to work, but I was wondering if it is best to add the first can of malt extract to my 3 gallons of water in the kettle BEFORE or AFTER water reaches a boil. I planned to add it as soon as water comes to a slight boil. Then I add the second can after I turn off the burner and stir it and let it sit for about 10 minutes. What do you all think?

I don't know if it really matters, but I always wait until I get a good rolling boil before adding the malt extract. My only thought is that by getting the water up to a boil first, the higher temp will help the extract dissolve faster and decrease the risk of scorching or darkening of the wort. I don't know if there is any truth or science to this, but it seems to make sense to me =]

I bring the water to a boil, then turn the flame off and add the extract, stirring well, then bring it back up to a boil to ensure no burnt extract on the bottom of the kettle.

Back