Adding extra grain for batch sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey folks, long time listener, first time caller.

When adding extra grain to compensate for efficiency loss when batch sparging, should count the extra one or two lbs of grain in my water calculations?

Say a recipe is 10lbs two row, so i use 11-12lbs and add water to 10lbs of grain so the extra grain is not diluted?

Please help, thanks!

Do you know that your efficiency will actually go down? From what I've seen batch and fly sparge can have pretty comparable efficiencies.

But to answer your question, I would calculate the mash water to match the grain bill that you actually have. So increase the mash water and decrease the sparge water. But don't forget to add a little water to compensate for the extra grain absorption.

What makes you suspect you are getting lower efficiency due to batch sparging? I batch sparge in 5 or 10 gallon igloos and regularly get my efficiency over 75, sometimes over 80. If you are having low efficiency issues I would check other steps in your process first. I have noticed the biggest impact on my efficiency comes from the crush of my grains. Since I have gotten my own grain mill it has helped to keep my efficiency much more consistent.

Good points thank you. I am new, so i am still working n getting consistant fermenter volumes. So that plays a part too. But my eff. Is all over, i just thought this may be a big reason. I will focus more on each step and see.

Even when i nail my volumes though, my eff. Is 64-69% . I am using a coleman 48q, ss braid as my filter.

I get 70% with a rectangular cooler and braid. IMO, it's more important for consistency so you don't have to do the last minute adjustments.

I would start with checking your process all the way through as well as your equipment profile in beersmith (or other software) and the accuracy of your hydrometer. There is a possibility that your efficiency is fine but your measurements to get there are off. With that in mind I will say that when I first got my grain mill it took me a couple of batches to get the crush to the right spot to hit the efficiency that I was looking for without over milling my grain. If you are using store milled grain I would check to make sure of the consistency of what you are getting from them.

As d3track said, if you get your efficiency to be consistent you will be just fine brewing with 70% efficiency. If you are you should be able to change the expected efficiency in whatever software you use and adjust your recipes to match it.

Cool, thanks! I was gonna say, id be fine with Say 65%, just as long as it is consistant.. thanks for the tips, much appreciated..

Do you folks mash out before draining the first runnings? I was thinking of trying that too.

Thanks again!

Back