Adding dry yeast to water before pitching.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bates_Foreman

Reaction score
So the owner at my local brewstore told me to bring a small amount of water to a boil to sanitize, let cool to about 70 degrees, and add the yeast to the water before pitching to the wort. The yeast kind of clumped up and i used a sanitized spoon to stir it but it seemed like a big hassle. Anyway, the beer is definitely fermenting. I was just wondering why he told me to do this? In the past I've always just pitched the yeast dry.

Read the instructions on the packet of yeast. If it's not on the front, it should be on the back. IME, those are the ones to follow, not something some jamoke at the LHBS tells you. Most of the packs have you warm the water to above 70F before pouring the dry yeast in. You typically let it sit for about 15 minutes before you stir and then pitch it into the chilled wort. You also want the rehydrated yeast to be less than a 10C temperature difference to the chilled wort.

I have to ask... What LHBS is this??

I may have misunderstood his information. He definitely knows what he is doing, and any false info was probably on my misunderstanding. I just thought too high of a temperature would kill the yeast. All the directions stated were to ferment at about 70-75 degrees. Im using a safale us-05

Back