Adding dry hops in conical fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scallopking

Reaction score
I have the 7g SS Brewtech and to date have put all dry hops in a bag(s) and threw them in there. What is the practice really, do people just put them in directly and cold crash to drop the suspension out? I use pellet hops. thanks.

Any feedback at all? I guess I could just throw in without a bag but worried how much this would cloud up the beer and if it would all ever settle down.

I'm sorry that I can't answer your question as I just dry hopped my first time two weeks ago. I have a conical and was concerned with just dumping a bag in and having it plug the valve when it came time to rack over to kegs. I attached a fine piece of fishing line to the bag and suspended in the conical to avoid plugging the bottom valve. Hopefully someone will jump in here and help us both.

When I first got my 7 gallon conicals, I used a paint strainer bag for dry hopping. However, more than once the bag ended up blocking the racking arm when I went to transfer beer to a keg. I was skeptical about just dropping the pellet hops into the conical, but that's all I do now. They will settle to the bottom in less than a week even without cold crashing and can be drained off through the dump valve on the bottom.

I also have SS Brewtech Brew Buckets and just throw the hop pellets in as they'll just settle into the trub with everything else. For whole leaf dry hopping, I do use a muslin bad to make clean up easier and prevent clogging the spigot.

This is awesome guys. I've always used bags without an attached line and haven't had a clog yet but ain't gonna anymore. That's perfect they do settle down, because I haven't figured out how to cold crash the chronical yet. Going commando! Thanks.

This is awesome guys. I've always used bags without an attached line and haven't had a clog yet but ain't gonna anymore. That's perfect they do settle down, because I haven't figured out how to cold crash the chronical yet. Going commando! Thanks.

Commando here too. You can do a swamp cooler to crash.

Any feedback at all? I guess I could just throw in without a bag but worried how much this would cloud up the beer and if it would all ever settle down.

I never use hop bags. I always clear my beer by cold crashing in super cold fridge (~34 degrees) for about 2 days, then add gelatin. After about 3-4 days everything's settled out pretty well and I just rack off to keg/bottling bucket. Even without the gelatin finings, I find the cold crash for multiple days makes a good precipitate layer on the bottom.

Back