Quantcast

Adding DME to starter

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

citabria

Reaction score
I'm brewing batch #3 next week and want to make a starter. I got a starter kit from Morebeer and the directions say to mix the DME, water, and yeast nutrient into the flask and then begin the boil. Palmers says to bring the water to boil and then add the DME. Is there any harm in adding the DME to the cold water prior to boiling? The Morebeer way would be easier with the flask since I wouldn't have to deal with pouring DME into the small flask opening while dealing with the boil and steam.

david_42

Reaction score
Makes no difference. Just as long as you cool it before pitching the yeast.:)

Rick_R

Still Love Fried Chicken
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Word of warning: that flask on the stove will boil-over in a heartbeat. Looks fine - blink - boil-over. I bought the same kit, but after the first time I boiled in a pan and transferred.

Rick

eddie

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Rick_R said:
Word of warning: that flask on the stove will boil-over in a heartbeat. Looks fine - blink - boil-over. I bought the same kit, but after the first time I boiled in a pan and transferred.

Rick
Damn right!!! Every time I've tried boiling starter wort in my flask I ended up with a wort volcano. Now I simply boil and cool the wort in a stock pot then transfer it into the flask with a sanitized funnel. I know lots of guys who always boil their wort in the flask and never have a problem but I've never had it work for me. To each their own I guess.

Mayday99

Reaction score
Rick_R said:

Rick
True, True!! Glad to know I wasn't the only one. Only it took me 2-3 boilovers before I switched to boiling my starter wort in a big pot and transferring it into my sterilized flask.

Latest posts