adding dextrose during krausen???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddicker60

Reaction score
Making an IPA with US-05 and wondering when an how you add dextrose druing high krausen? straight up? with water?

If you really want to add sugar, you would boil a cup or two of filtered/bottled water for 4-5 minutes, dissolve the sugar in it, cover with sanitized (sprayed w/ StarSan) foil and let it cool to 65* then very gently pour it in.

Why do you want to add sugar to an IPA? Trying to boost ABV? If you add a significant amount, you'll end up with a thinner, dry brew which may lack the needed maltiness to balance out the hop additions. Just be aware that you may be unhappy with the result.

I always add some sugar to the fermenter for an IPA. I want it to dry it out a bit. It also allows me to have a smaller final headspace in the fermenter.

- Boil the sugar in water for about 10 minutes (you want to get the O2 out of the water; 5 minutes might be OK).

- Cool. Does not have to be at the same temp as the wort. 1 pint of sugar water in 40 pints. If it is 110 F. it will raise the bulk temperature by 1 degree.

Why do it at high Kraeusen? I always add it when the main ferment is slowing down.

I do the same method as Calder on alot of Saisons and IPAs, I usually wait until the krausen is just starting to fall before I add the boiled/cooled sugar water.

I like this method for a few reasons, it gets your yeast to work on the more complex malt sugars before plowing through the simple highly fermentable sugars. Yeast can get lazy and ferment the simple sugars first, by holding these off you ensure that the yeast works on the more difficult fermentables, then the simple sugar is cupcake city.

This helps in my Saisons to ensure that they are bone dry, and avoid some hot alcohols in beers 7%+, some goes for IPAs/DIPAs.

I did an IPA with an additional 12 lbs of dextrose... Sanitize everything, pulled a sample, stirred about a half lb at a time in and poured it back in... Beer got up to about 24%

Back