Adding color to fermented beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Blanco

Reaction score
So, I made a Dubbel and it came out great, but way too light (somewhere around 8 or 9 SRM). I wouldn't mind making it darker.

I was just wondering if there is a way to add color to beer after fermentation. There must be some sort of food coloring or extract that can be added to achieve this. Am I wrong?

Ah...Sinamar. I remembered I heard about it, but couldn't remember the name. Thanks.

I'll probably add too much and make it look like a stout. After all, it is only a 3 gal batch. Any experience using this stuff? Any particular process when it comes to making it sterile?

I'd pull a liter or so, add it dropwise until you get the color you want, then extrapolate how much you need in the full batch. Subtract 25% and add that, then go from there.

edit: It may not be sterile, but I certainly wouldn't worry about it. It's fermented so that there aren't any residual sugars to be bacteria food.

a liter is a bit much for me to remove for only 2.5gal of finished beer and I would be too nervous about adding it straight to the beer hoping it wont get infected

Well, add the liter back once you're finished. Or pull whatever amount you're comfortable discarding.

Look at it this way: if you couldn't move beer around without contaminating it, you'd have had problems already, right? Just clean and sanitize anything that touches the beer and you'll be fine.

Yeah....I won't take my chances. Even if my practices are clean, the less you move your beer around the better. The reason I don't get infections is because I minimize the transfer and exposure of my beer. Not to mention oxidation. I'm not the type to add back my hydro samples either. No bueno

And I would definitely want to find a way to boil the sinamar extract to sanitize it before I add it.

Back