Adding chocolate to a cherry stout extract kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Houdini

Reaction score
I purchased a Dark Cherry Stout Extract Kit from NB and I'd like to turn this into a Dark Chocolate Cherry Stout. I read that using bakers chocolate is the route to go, but I'm completely unsure of how much I should add. This is the first time I will be modifying a kit, so I was hoping to get some suggestions from the experts!

Here's the kit:
SPECIALTY GRAIN
- 0.5 lbs English Dark Crystal
- 0.5 lbs English Roasted Barley
- 0.5 lbs English Black Malt
FERMENTABLES
- 3 lbs Dark dry malt extract (60 min)
- 3.15 Dark malt syrup late addition (15 min)
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
- 1 oz German Perle (60 min)
- Cherry Extract (add at bottling)

So, any suggestions on the amount of bakers chocolate to add? Also, when should I be adding this? During the boil, after boil, or before bottling like the cherry extract?

The simplest route to go is to add 8 oz. of unsweetened cocoa powder at knockoff so it can be mixed in thoroughly and sanitized (Hershey's is great b/c of its low fat content). It'll look like sludge in the fermenter but that's quite typical. The longer you let it sit on the sludge in the fermenter the more chocolate flavor and aroma you will extract, at least ten days should suffice but more or less depending on your desired taste. I've done this a few times for stouts and porters and it has yielded great results.

Houdini, I have the same kit and was planning on doing the same thing! I'm going to use 6 oz of cocoa nibs though. I'm actually not going to use the extract they provided with the kit and I'm steeping 2 pounds of morello cherries in 10 oz of rum. I'm going to add the nibs to that mix, add to the secondary and rack the stout on top o it to let it sit for a month.

Back