Adding Chocolate Rye to a Rye ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphys_Law

Reaction score
A few months back I brewed a Rye ESB, which turned out quite tasty. It started as a smash so I used EKG as my only hops (60, 40, 20 and 5 additions), but modified my grain bill:

7 lb Maris Otter
1 lb Rye
1 lb Flaked Rye
8 oz Crystal 60L
4 oz Crystal 90 L

Used Safale S-04 for yeast.

I am going to brew this again but am thinking of adding a small amount of Chocolate Rye but have never brewed with this. Anyone ever add this to a Rye ESB and get good results?

What are you hoping to gain by adding that?

I do a rye beer that has:

9 lb Maris Otter
3 lb Rye Malt
6 oz Chocolate Wheat
4 oz Flaked Rye
.5 oz Columbus 60 min
.5 oz Columbus 20 min
1 oz Styrian Celeia 10 min
2112 or 980 yeast (California lager) 65-69 degrees

What the 6 ounces of chocolate wheat does in mine is darken it to the most delicious hue. But it doesn't taste like a stout, which many people expect.

If you added a similar amount of chocolate Rye, i'd expect a similar color.

Here's what mine looks like:

ryebeer.jpg

I've brewed a fair amount w/ S-04, but I've never tried it with my recipe above. Now I'm thinking I should try that.....

I was thinking of adding it just to tweak the recipe and experiment, quite honestly. Thought it would darken the beer and add a little more roast to the flavor but going back and forth wondering if that would be any good with this recipe!

even a small amount of chocolate rye and it will cease to be an ESB. Hell, with any rye is really not an ESB. I would think with a username like "murphys law" you would understand that by adding unnecessary ingredients, things will go wrong

if you just want to try out choclate rye as a malt, maybe design a stout or porter for it. An ryrish dry stout would be even better

Back