Adding Carapils to this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
Here is a recipe for a Full Suspension PA clone from the BYO Clone Recipe Magazine that I am planning on brewing:

Full Suspension Pale Ale
10-A American Pale Ale

Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 70.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 158.73 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.048 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 12.04 (5.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 4.69% (4.5% - 6.2%)
Bitterness: 39.3 (30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
10.39 lb American 2-row
0.75 lb Belgian Caramunich
0.71 oz Nugget (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
0.77 oz Columbus (15.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
0.77 oz Columbus (15.0%) - added during boil, boiled 0.0 min
1.0 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

I was thinking about adding .25 to .5 lbs of Carapils to the recipe to add to the body and help in head retention, but don't know if it is needed or will change the beer much. It doesn't seem to have too much of a difference when I add it in beer tools, but would like the opinion of a person as opposed to a computer program. Thanks

Well, you've already got enough crystal with the caramunich, in my opinion.

I rarely use carapils anymore. If you mash at 153-154, it's not necessary and it's a crystal malt so it would increase your % of crystal malt in the recipe.

What's the mash schedule?

Not sure if you realize that Caramunich and Carapils are essentially the same thing except that one starts from Munich malt and the other starts from Pils malt. They both provide the same results for head and body in the final product. The Munich also adds a touch of sweetness toasty malt flavor.

Not sure if you realize that Caramunich and Carapils are essentially the same thing except that one starts from Munich malt and the other starts from Pils malt. They both provide the same results for head and body in the final product. The Munich also adds a touch of sweetness toasty malt flavor.

What it adds (besides head retention and body) greatly depends on how dark it was kilned. That is not in the OP. I have some Caramunich 120L and it is nothing like Crystal 10L. 10l is 10x sweeter. Carapills adds little flavor.

Adding a 1/4 lb of carapils will give excellent head retention and it will stick to the glass with a thick lacing. You will be able to count the swallows.

Adding a 1/4 lb of carapils will give excellent head retention and it will stick to the glass with a thick lacing. You will be able to count the swallows.

And the Caramunich already called for in the recipe is already doing this exact same thing since it essentially the same thing as Carapils except that it starts from Munich malt. Which is why I pointed this out to the OP in my other post. I'm not sure if he realizes they are the same thing as regards head and body.

Just my 2 cents but i think the recipe looks pretty good and as noted the 2 grains accomplish pretty muct he same thing , why not brew it the way it is and then brew one with the change you asked about. Worst case you have you have 2 good if not great batches of beer what could possibly be wrong with that? Then you could decide for yourself. And i realize 2 batches alot of beer let me know if you need help testing he he he

I am going to mash at 152* for an hour. I did not realize that they basically do the same thing, so I will probably keep it the way it is without adding the Carapils. Thank you all for the responses.

Latest posts

Back