Adding Caramel Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonclick

Reaction score
I brewed 5 gallons of a Vanilla Caramel Ale. I've got it carbed and in a keg. I've got to serve it at a festival this coming Saturday. Today is Sunday. The problem is it has a slight vanilla flavor but no real caramel flavor. All in all it's pretty bland. I want to get more caramel. What I was thinking about was steeping some crystal 60 or 80 in a little bit or water and add to the keg. Question is will this work? Is there a better way of getting some caramel flavor in a short time period? Thanks for the help.

You could try with quite a large helping of brewer's caramel. Not sure how dark your beer is, but at least 1ml / l.

It's not a fermentable extract. It's heavily caramelised unrefined sugar that has not been inverted. It's stable and readily mixes with the beer. We buy it here in 100ml bottles to colour bitters, milds and pale ales. It's around 33000 EBC which I think works around 12000 lovibond in colour. It does have more flavour to it than the German malt based coloring.

Back