Adding cane sugar to primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LLBrewer

Reaction score
Has anyone ever added ordinary table sugar to the primary in an attempt to dry out a beer?

Yes. A lot of people have done it. Usually part of the recipe rather than to dry out an otherwise sweet beer.

I usually disolve it in a little water and bring to the boil, but I expect it could be added dry.

It is often done with big Belgians, where recipes call for a decent amount of simple sugars.

Yes. A lot of people have done it. Usually part of the recipe rather than to dry out an otherwise sweet beer.

I usually disolve it in a little water and bring to the boil, but I expect it could be added dry.

It is often done with big Belgians, where recipes call for a decent amount of simple sugars.

Adding some table sugar is an easy fix to a missed OG. Too much though may contribute an unwanted taste.

Thanks, I recently did this with a cream ale (kolsch yeast), about a 1/2 lb. It worked, fermentation kicked back up and I'm happy to report the beer is delicious. I wont be using kolsch again anytime soon though, it's a ***** to get to drop out.

Back