Adding Campden and Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTD

Reaction score
Hi all, help wanted for sulfites and bottling...

Wondering how late or soon it is for bottling. i syphoned an 11.5L carboy into 2 x 5L demjohn's yesterday and added 1/4 teaspoon of ascorbic acid and 1 campden tablet however there was a slight fizz to it so i thought bugger bottling that now (corking). It had bentonite during fermentation so i needed to get it off the large sediment.

how long can i wait before i need to add campden tablet again, this is the 1st syphoning for this batch. if i bottle in 1 week can i get away with adding no more campden tablets, or even if i bottle in 2 weeks can i get away with no more campden tablets? or should i add 1/2 a tablet after 3 weeks to be safe when i bottle?

Id rather add no more if i can get away with it but dont want to wait more than 3 weeks to bottle.

As for corking i use a floor corker.

Thanks

Rules of thumb are 1 campden tablet per gallon every other racking. Rack at 1/4 inch of lees. Don't bottle till you're sure fermentation is ended.

Back