adding brown sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegan

Reaction score
so ive started my first batch of hard cider, yes im yet another beer guy crossing over in to the cider world. but my question is when i added brown sugar following a recipe it didnt raise my gravity as much as i had hoped it would. my og before adding 2 lbs of brown sugar in to a 5 gallon batch was 1.060 and after was 1.065. ive been thinking about it and i didnt wait for the sugar to dissolve or any thing, i stired it really good but not long enough to fully dissolve. so would undissolved sugars not read correctly on my hydrometer? and if not not any guess on how much it should have raised my og. thank you for reading this mess and any feed back would be great.

If the sugar did not dissolve it would not effect the sg so you would get a false reading. I always heat some cider and dissolve the brown sugar in it. This isn't necessary with dextrose since it dissolves easier.

I use about 1.5 cups per gallon to get to 1.070 so you might have still have needed to add more to go up.

You can always retest. The sugar has probably dissolved.

Back