Adding body to mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synaster

Reaction score
Does anyone have a way of adding a thicker fuller body to mead?

I read somewhere that some people add raisins to fermentation...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Raisins don't have an impact on the body. There are a few ways to impact the body, though ultimately it's a function of residual sugar. You can do a few different things, including starting with a higher gravity must, a less aggressive yeast or back sweetening. Other things that will affect perception of body (sweetness) are the balance between acid, alcohol & tannin as well. Personally, I don't like the idea of a "thick" body, as that sounds cloying and overly sweet. What are you trying to make?

Trying to make a nice blueberry melomel... I feel like once the fruit is added.. the water from it thins out the mead.

Do you mean "mouthfeel" - that is to say the liquid coats your mouth and tongue and slips down your throat as opposed to the way that water simply pours down your throat. Mouthfeel can mean that the flavor and sensation persist for a long while. Or do you mean that you are looking for a richer flavor? For the latter you want to use a greater proportion of honey to water in your must - all the flavor is in the honey and the more honey and the less water the more concentrated will be the flavor and bouquet.
For the former, I am not sure. Some people add glycerine. I think drinking the mead colder increases its viscosity, but the colder the mead the less flavor you can detect...

There are a few ways to add mouthfeel to mead.

1. Add more honey - Even if it ferments dry, more honey always gives more mouthfeel. If it doesn't ferment (sweet mead), it will have a lot more!

2. Tannin - This is what you were getting at with adding raisins, but you would have to add a LOT of raisins. Better options are grape tannin or oak cubes. You can purchase them from online shops such as morebeer.com.

3. Glycerin - A wine makers trick for adding silkiness to big reds. Make sure the yeast are maxed out on ABV or stabilized as yeast can metabolize glycerin.

4. Spices - Some spices add a perceived mouthfeel. Gesho immediately comes to mind. Coriander, Szechuan berries, and black pepper also add a bit of mouthfeel if used sparingly.

Better brewing through science!

Maltodextrin also helps body.

For body and creaminess, add Lactose.

Back