Adding apple cocentrate to already fermenting apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perschml

Reaction score
I have a batch of apfelwein that is about 3 weeks into fermentation and I wanted to add some concentrate to make it more appley. Its still bubbling so is it safe to draw some of the must off, dissolve the concentrate in it and put it back into the carboy? OR do I wait till its done fermenting, stabilize it and then add the concentrate to back sweeten it?

I thought about splitting it into 5 1 gallon jugs and only doing a gallon but might just do the whole 5 gallon batch.

I guess it depends on what you want the finished product to be like. If it is still fermenting and you add some concentrate right now, it will all ferment away. I am sure that it will leave some apple flavor, but the sugars will be gone. You can stabilize and then sweeten with concentrate, but then you cannot carbonate unless you have a keg. So it really depends on what you want. I have done it both ways.

I'm really just looking for a little more apple flavor. The dryness is fine by me but it needs some more apple for my likes.

Back