Adding almond joys to porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seagondollar

Reaction score
was thinking about adding toasted coconut and cacao nibs to make my imperial porter an almond joy porter, but was wondering if i added like 1lb of chopped up almond joys if id get similiar results. Obviously the sugars would ferment, but i feel the aroma and slight taste might remain. Am i off? Anybody tried this?

The chocolate is all bound up in cocoa butter, so it's likely not going anywhere in a post-boil scenario. And even if it somehow started to dissolve, you'd have all that head-killing cocoa butter in the mix.

I'd stick with the shredded/toasted coconut and soak the nibs in booze for a handful of days before dumping the works in a fermenter and racking on top...

Cheers!

This is somewhat related, but I have a buddy that brewed a RIS and added 5lbs of tootsie rolls to the boil. Ended up around 16.5% ABV. I tasted some, it was good and there was a hot alcohol flavor with notes of tootsie roll, which ended up working out pretty well.

I have been thinking about brewing a porter mostly for swmbo that i would add a fifth of malibu rum to the beer post fermentation, but I think if I were to actually brew it up I would add the toasted coconut and cocoa nibs to the secondary along with a large percentage of chocolate and caramel malts to the mash. I would be interested in hearing your results and the recipe you end up using!

was thinking about adding toasted coconut and cacao nibs to make my imperial porter an almond joy porter, but was wondering if i added like 1lb of chopped up almond joys if id get similiar results. Obviously the sugars would ferment, but i feel the aroma and slight taste might remain. Am i off? Anybody tried this?

i just racked an AJ porter to secondary myself :mug: i used cocoa nibs soaked in vodka, i also put lactose in the boil to provide (hopefully) a milk chocolate taste

Back