Added too much sulfite to wine post fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongarm

Reaction score
My Cabernet is currently in a 50liter barrel. I took a S02 reading at 32ppm and with my ph at 3.75 I wanted to get it to 70ppm. I needed to add 3 grams of potassium meta sulfite. Problem is my scale was not reading correctly and I think I may have added closer to 10 grams. This will be sitting in the barrel for 8-12 months. Do I have any serious issues to worry about. I will take a reading soon but wanted it to have a chance to dissolve first.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I took a reading and got 64ppm S02. Thought it would be much higher than that unless it takes more time to dissolve to get a more accurate reading.

Potassium meta sulfite powder. Just putting it directly in not diluting with hot water.

I took a reading and got 64ppm S02. Thought it would be much higher than that unless it takes more time to dissolve to get a more accurate reading.

Perfect!

Hopefully, that's not because it wasn't dissolved, though. I'd always recommend dissolving the powder in a little boiling wine or water, and add that.

I don't think you will have problems 64 ppm sounds fine for now, measure it after a couple of days to see it is not raising.

Back