Added too much strike water to first PM -- what adjustments should I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallMeZoot

Reaction score
My strike temperature dropped too quickly (despite preheating and using strike temp calculated by Beersmith). I ended up having to add a lot of hot water to get it up to 155ish. I did this in several small spurts so don't know how much I added, probably at least a few quarts.

This is a small grain bill (3 pounds) and I assume I'm well over the 4.5 quarts for strike water. Should I make any adjustments to my sparge to make up for this?

Thanks,
chris.

Are you batch or fly sparging. If fly sparging just sparge to your target preboil volume. If batch sparging reduce the amount of water you would add prior to the first run-off by the amount of water you already added to get your mash up. With such a small grain bill you are going to be challenged to hit and maintain your strike temp. What are you using for a mash tun?

GT

I'm mashing in a 10-gallon round rubbermaid cooler which I build for all-grain brewing. It's a bit big for such a small grain

I batch sparged in two stages -- I ended up subtracting a little over a gallon from my batch sparge to make up for the extra strike water. My OG after boiling was on target, so I'm guessing I did ok.

I still have no idea how to measure efficiency, but since this was partial mash and I used over 3lb DME, I'm guessing efficiency in the mash isn't as big a deal.

Thanks,
chris.

Glad it worked out for you.

I built a small mash tun for brewing smaller beers (like English Bitters). The grain bill was just lost in my 12g cooler and the temp would drop significantly over 60minutes.

GT

Back