Added too much hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keatz85

Reaction score
Recipe called for 1/2 oz of hops but came with 1 oz, didnt realize this until after and added 1 oz. Its a 20 min boil kit from midwest, mexican style cerveza. Young (1 week) but tastes horrendous, like drinking straight hops. Will it get better with age or is it ruined?

hop taste will fade in time.

that being said, is 1oz of hops seriously "tasting like straight hops"? no offense but that's like the absolute baseline, like i don't think i've ever brewed a beer with just 1oz of hops and i've brewed one IPA in my life.

The LME was hopped as well. Too me it tasted like straight hops, ridiculously bitter. Friends were describing it as burnt marshmallows and campfire ashes.

Will probably never do a 20 min kit again, but it was getting good reviews, hopefully time fixes it, but it was so bad i dont if anything could.

ah, i see. i don't have any experience with hopped LME. i'm going to be brutally honest and say that you should move to partial mash. it's how i started out and allows you a greater degree of control with no extra equipment.

I'm drinking an oaked IIPA right now that had 4.5 oz in the boil and 2oz dry hop and it tastes great. What is your normal hop amount? Where did you pull the sample from? (The top, during bottling, etc.) That could make a large impact. Regardles, don't worry.

Good chance you scorched your extract when you added it in. Hops dont taste like burnt marshmallows or campfire ash. Burnt sugar does though.

First 3 brews were partial mash and delicious. Figured id try a boil kit. Been bottled about a week. Water is hard tap water but first batches has been delicious w same water.

First 3 brews were partial mash and delicious. Figured id try a boil kit. Been bottled about a week. Water is hard tap water but first batches has been delicious w same water.

sounds like it may have been just a mistake in process then. up side is that there's nothing stopping you from brewing good beer in the future. i'd just move on to the next brew and let this one age. sometimes things work out with time.

Now that I think about it, not sure how I would've scorched it either. Kettle was off burner longer than with my previous 3 batches when I added the LME and DME and think I stirred before adding and more so during. But basically what the more experienced brewers will tell you wait and if it sucks oh well, it happens, learn from it and move on. Still fun to talk to you dudes though. Have a Blonde Ale fermenting now. Going to order an Unfiltered Wheat here in a bit.

Back