Added to much water to wort,low alcohol volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_Fallon

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just started my first brew using Coopers Home Kit. I've add 25 litres of water instead of 23 by mistake :smack:
It's now day 6 of fermentation at about 21 degrees and the brew seems to be finished fermenting...ie c02 production seems to have subsided & it looks stable.
My OG was 1.030 when i first mixed up the wort,at day 6 it is now 1.010 giving an alcohol volume of about 2.63% :eek:

Is it possible to add normal sugar to the wort to boost the alcohol content?Maybe about 100 grams to the mix? Any experienced advice would be great!

Cheers

Adding sugar and allowing the yeast to ferment it out would be a way to increase the ABV%. One thing to remember though is it may dry your beer out a bit.

Thanks for the reply,I just added about 150 grams of sugar and golden syrup to the wort...hopefully the extra water I added at the start should balance it out in the end. :)

If it turns out too dry, quick brew up another batch and mix them together. Provided it's a clean unflawed batch, this would be a good way to fix the problem

Back