Added sugar instead of yeast by mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfreer

Reaction score
Did my first Home brew last night and I accidentally added some of the bottling sugar to the fermenter thinking it was the yeast. I probably put in about a 1/3 of the total sugar required to bottle 5 gallons. Once i realized it wasnt the yeast, i stopped and then added the yeast. Put the stopper on and now i'm worried i totally screwed it up.

How will this affect the beer and/or fermentation? Is this a big problem?

Did my first Home brew last night and I accidentally added some of the bottling sugar to the fermenter thinking it was the yeast. I probably put in about a 1/3 of the total sugar required to bottle 5 gallons. Once i realized it wasnt the yeast, i stopped and then added the yeast. Put the stopper on and now i'm worried i totally screwed it up.

How will this affect the beer and/or fermentation? Is this a big problem?
Don't worry about it, your beer will be fine. It will be Slightly stronger, but no more sugar than you added, it really shouldn't effect the flavor.

Don't worry. It's ok. The bottling sugar will not due any damage for a few reasons. One, it is meant to be added as a fermentable and will not give off any flavor. Two, there will probably be no perceptible change in gravity due to the small amount that you added. Make sure to get more corn sugar before bottling so that you have the correct amount to work with.

I have put in a bag of priming sugar to an extract brew just to make the beer a bit stronger. It wont hurt it at all. Just make sure you add the correct amount when your going to bottle.

Latest posts

Back