Added coffee, how long before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earwig

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I added 4oz of coarsely ground coffee beans to my primary fermenter tonight, 2 weeks after brewing it. How long should I wait before bottling? Is 5 days enough? I'd like to bottle this batch Friday night. Thanks.

I would think 5 days would get some good flavor out of it. I did a Mr. Beer Russian Imperial Stout with crushed espresso beans, but I put the beans in at the beginning of the ferment, and let them sit a whole 3 weeks before bottling, which is what the recipe called for. Nice coffee flavor. Strange aroma though, was not used to smelling coffee in my beer!

I've used coffee quite a few times, and I would think a lot if not most of the flavor extraction would be done in 5 days

yea 5 days should be plenty. Did you pitch straight grounds or did you make a coffee soup? How did you know your grounds wern't gonna make an infection?

I went a different route and steeped .5# of decaf in one quart of water for three minutes and then added it near flame out. I took a sip from my hydrometer sample and I could take the coffee, but it wasn't overwhelming. No secondary needed.
I have also heard of people cold-extracting the coffee by adding grains to room temp. water 24 hours before hand and then throwing it in during the last 15 minutes.

i heard a professional brewer interviewed the other day and said that 48 hrs was the 'magic' number for putting beer on coffee grounds. i believe it was terrapin brewing's 'wake and bake stout'

My favorite way to add the coffee taste is to take whatever quantity of fresh ground coffee you want to add to your brew, usually 4-8 oz per 5 gallons in my case, and ....

Put these good grounds in a glass container, add some alcohol (vodka, whatever) just enough to cover. Let it sit 12-24 hours, then add a cup or 2 of clean water. Let it sit another 2-3 days in the fridge.

Filter the grounds out and add the coffee "liquor" to your bottling bucket / keg when you get to that point.

There are several ways to get the coffee infusion, this one has worked really well for me.

I tried coffee for the first time in the Stout I'm drinking right now. I put about 10 oz of whole starbucks cafe verona beans for 48 hours and the coffee flavor is very strong. It's been in the bottle a little over 2 weeks and it's coming around nicely. Reminds me a lot of Bells Java stout which is what I was going for but the coffee is different. I'm not sure what they use. Supposedly it's a custom blend for them. This stuff get's me close enough though.

Back