Add yeast to kegged and carbonated beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBainne

Reaction score
I recently made a Pumpkin Ale and after 3 weeks of fermentation the F.G. resulted in 1.018. I kegged and force carbonated this ale and after tasting I am fairly confident that it needs to ferment further. My question is, can I rack the beer to a fermenter to complete fermentation? my second question is, since the F.G is so close to completion, should have been 1.013, can I add just a Wyest smack pack or should I make a 1l starter?

If it was in the fermenter for three weeks and finished at 1.018, it probably won't go any lower.

FG is a guestimate at best and depends on many things like fermentability of the ingredients, mash temp (for AG batches), the yeast strain attenuation, aeration at before fermentation, and so on.

I would say that a pumpkin beer at 1.018 wouldn't be uncommon. They usually have crystal malts and other ingredients that cause the FG to be higher than beers without less fermentable ingredients.

I thought the FG would be ok at 1.018 but after tasting it it has an over sweet flavor to it. I was thinking the yeast dropped before it completely finished and maybe I should have added a second yeast pack. I used the SafAle English Ale S-04.

I thought the FG would be ok at 1.018 but after tasting it it has an over sweet flavor to it. I was thinking the yeast dropped before it completely finished and maybe I should have added a second yeast pack. I used the SafAle English Ale S-04.

So4 is pretty flocculant, but it never flocculates before it's done fermenting, unless you suddenly put the fermenter at 50 degrees.

If it's too sweet, it could be because of the recipe (ingredients).

Yooper thanks for the reply, I'll give it time to condition and see if the flavor changes at all, maybe try leaving it at room temp under CO2. If not I'll go with another recipe for my next batch of Pumpkin Ale.

It's been about a month now since I kegged this beer. The sweet flavor has subsided significantly, it now tastes much closer to what I expected. I will try a different yeast next time and with a little more Pumpkin seasoning this will be on the money.

1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ginger
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Cloves
1 tsp Pure Vanilla extract

I roasted an 8" sugar pumpkin drizzled with maple syrup for 90 minutes and after pureed added it to the last 10 minutes of the boil. For the next batch I know I need to increase all of the spices to bring out more of the pumpkin flavor.

Back