Add yeast at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a batch of ale that was "supposed" to be bottled around the holidays, but you know how it goes, so there it is still in the secondary. My question is: Can I add priming sugar and bottle after it sitting in the carbouy for 2 months or what? I'm thinking the yeast is probably all dead by now, since it's been 72ish in the house. What should I do?

-Homer

Also, Ooops, wrong thread title!

Chances are the yeast isn't dead, but it probably isn't as viable as it was a month ago. It should still carbonate up fine, but you might have to (1) stir up a bit of the yeast from the bottom when you rack to your bottling bucket, and (2) give it 3-4 weeks to carb up.

I have had some success rehydrating about 5 grams of dry yeast and adding that to the bottling bucket with your priming sugar. But I only bother if my beer has been in the secondary for longer than 3 or 4 months.

:mug:

And in case anyone reads this post wondering about starters, no -- don't ever make them from sugar. You will do more harm than good.

(Maybe a mod could change this thread title if they see this.)

That is good to hear. I might just try using some dry yeast emergency packets that I have on hand then. I "thought" I had some DME on hand too, but it's missing. so much for a starter...

I wonder if there is something other than malt that can be used to create a yeast starter? It's a bit of a drive to get to the closest brew supply store, and the weather sucks in Northern Michigan this time of year (unless you like skiing, snowmobiling, ice fishing, and/or simply being cold. Temp with wind chill is about -24 F).

I'd try kicking up a bit of yeast with your racking cane or autosiphon when racking to your bottling bucket. I bet it will be fine.....

If not, you can consider re-oppening the bottles and repriming with a little yeast. There was a thread about that created on Friday...I think the title was under carbonated....you can look it up on search.

I ended up bottling and also added a packet of the dry yeast, after reconstituting it for about 15 minutes in sterile water. Happily, my beer had good taste too, so I'm pretty excited about this batch!

Back