add sugar during primary fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmdinn

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I started our first batch of cider last week. All appears to be going well, but it looks like our original SG is a little lower than we'd hoped.

Anyone think it would be a problem to add sugar at this point? Or have any tips on adding sugar after fermentation has started?

We stoppered the carboy with an airlock around 3:00 on Saturday 11/12.

What kind of sugar were you thinking, and it has been about 48 hours now?

Personally I think I've added to other products late sugar (after 24 hours) and just added it in, depending on the sugar. Cane/table sugar or other dry sugars can be added in straight, or boiled with some water. They will eventually disolve and be consumed. Honey or similar thick sugars can also go in as is, but are easier to pour when warmed.

Anything like candi sugar (large chunks) will probably disolve over time, but predisolving them is probably a better way to go.

Anyhow, what kind and how much? basic values are table/brown sugar will add 45 points SG/per pound in 1 gallon (so divide by # of gallons) Honey I think is typically 32-35 SG per pound in 1 gallon (aka points per pound gallon)

What was the SG you were aiming for? and how big of a batch are you doing?

Shouldn't be a problem to add late additions of sugar, BUT, be sure you disolve it in some water before you add it to the fermentation. Adding dry sugar might cause it to foam up all at once & make quite a mess. I'd just make a simple syrup, let it cool & pour it in slowly.
Regards, GF.

Back