Add priming sugar to individual bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack_a_roe

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the site. I'm about to bottle my first batch today and was wondering if I should add the sugar to each individual bottle or if I can just add all of it into my bottling bucket and mix it up all instead.

Add it all into your bottling bucket, and gently mix it up. Be careful not to splash or aerate your beer.

It's pretty common to boil a couple of cups of water, turn off the heat, and then add the priming sugar. It dissolves and mixes more evenly in the bottling bucket that way.

And a GENTLE stir after adding the priming liquid helps to mix it evenly through the entire 5 gallons. But be sure that it is a GENTLE stir...don't aerate the beer before bottling.

glenn514:mug:

What about if I have a 6 gal batch and fill up a 5 gal keg? Can I add sugar directly to the bottle with that last gallon or so? I was planning on filling some larger 750ml bottles with a Saison that didn't fit in the keg.

I would still mix the sugar into the entire batch evenly. Then you can go ahead and fill your 750s.

Correct, you would be naturally carbonating the keg. If you are in a hurry to drink your beer, then fill the keg before adding sugar, then add the sugar to the beer remaining in your fermenter or bottling bucket. Then fill your 750's. Just remember to adjust the amoung of sugar you add.

Latest posts

Back