Add more yeast or nah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol-hazza

Reaction score
So I have a bock which has just been lagering for a month, and I'm wondering if I should add more yeast before bottling. I have seen it recomended but doesn't it kinda defy the point of lagering in the first place? Or will I need that extra yeast for the carbonation?

Connundrum!

So I have a bock which has just been lagering for a month, and I'm wondering if I should add more yeast before bottling. I have seen it recomended but doesn't it kinda defy the point of lagering in the first place? Or will I need that extra yeast for the carbonation?

Connundrum!

If you're bottling soon, you won't need to add yeast. A month isn't too long of a lagering period. I've seen people suggest adding yeast at about the 8 week mark or longer. I lagered an Oktoberfest for 6 weeks and used gelatin to fine it and it still carbed. It took a good 3 and a half weeks, but there was still enough yeast to do the job, so I'm sure yours will be fine. Just expect it to maybe take a week longer to carb than it normally would.

My recent Oktofest lagered for 3 months, and carbed up just fine with no additional yeast. It's amazing how many of those little buggers there are, even in very clear beer.

Cheers,

1 month is no problem.

But, a few drops of fresh yeast won't hurt a thing either. Your call.

1 month even at lagering temps should still carb up.

Back