Quantcast

Add more yeast or nah

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ol-hazza

Reaction score
So I have a bock which has just been lagering for a month, and I'm wondering if I should add more yeast before bottling. I have seen it recomended but doesn't it kinda defy the point of lagering in the first place? Or will I need that extra yeast for the carbonation?

Connundrum!

Bramstoker17

Reaction score
So I have a bock which has just been lagering for a month, and I'm wondering if I should add more yeast before bottling. I have seen it recomended but doesn't it kinda defy the point of lagering in the first place? Or will I need that extra yeast for the carbonation?

Connundrum!
If you're bottling soon, you won't need to add yeast. A month isn't too long of a lagering period. I've seen people suggest adding yeast at about the 8 week mark or longer. I lagered an Oktoberfest for 6 weeks and used gelatin to fine it and it still carbed. It took a good 3 and a half weeks, but there was still enough yeast to do the job, so I'm sure yours will be fine. Just expect it to maybe take a week longer to carb than it normally would.

frazier

Reaction score
My recent Oktofest lagered for 3 months, and carbed up just fine with no additional yeast. It's amazing how many of those little buggers there are, even in very clear beer.

Cheers,

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
1 month is no problem.

But, a few drops of fresh yeast won't hurt a thing either. Your call.

1 month even at lagering temps should still carb up.