Add gelatin to keg or to cold crashed fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Washington_Brewologist

THE PNW BIAB BrewOlogist
Reaction score
Hey guys! I have an Irish Red that has been cold crashing for over 48 hours. This is my first attempt at cold crashing and I'm curious if you guys add gelatin to your fermenters or to your keg after racking? Also, I couldn't help wondering if making the gelatin solution and adding it to the keg before racking would help in terms of minimizing oxygen that would most likely be introduced if I just poured it on top of the beer in the keg. Thanks ahead of time for all your guy's help on this forum. This place is ****ing awesome.

I always add gelatin solution to keg and then rack on top, exactly as you said. My rationale is: 1. Reduces introduction of oxygen by opening the fermenter, and 2. better mixing of gelatin solution with beer. Not sure that others do the same, but I can attest that this method works just fine in my system. Beer is usually crystal clear within 36 hours of kegging.

I always add gelatin solution to keg and then rack on top, exactly as you said. My rationale is: 1. Reduces introduction of oxygen by opening the fermenter, and 2. better mixing of gelatin solution with beer. Not sure that others do the same, but I can attest that this method works just fine in my system. Beer is usually crystal clear within 36 hours of kegging.
This is what I do

I will do both. In the fermentor if I'm not repitching the yeast, in the keg always, sometimes both, gelatin is cheap and doing both will clear the beer faster if I don't plan to store cold (32F) for a while.

This method works fine if you are using the gelatin to help remove excessive yeast and hop particles. But if you also want to remove chill haze, then first chill her down to 30-40* to start that precipitation, then add the gelatin.

Last edited:
I put it directly in the fermentor while it's cold crashing. It won't really hurt it to put it in the corny, you'll just pull a half pint or so of sludge the first pour. I suppose you could do both but I've never felt it worth the effort.

Back