Adapter for my 220v g30 grainfather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwmystra98

Reaction score
I have my g30 grainfather all in one 220v. I figured it would go right into dryer outlet. Dryer has 4 prongs grainfather 3. I found an adapter but the grainfather instructions say it needs ground connection. I cannot find that anywhere. Why is the adapter not enough? The outlet otself is grounded. So confused and disappointed. Two batches ready to go and I am very confused.
Thanks.
Sebrina

If you're talking about using a 14-50 connection for this, that has two live feeds, ground and neutral. The adapter plugs (the one I bought to go from 14-50 to 6-50 included) keeps the ground and two lives, leaving the neutral. Since the 6-50 doesn't use the neutral line. If you're going to the twist lock connection, same thing should apply, it's just the shape of the plug is different.

So my grainfather has the 3 prongs with 2 flat heads. Nema 6-15r i believe. The dryer outlet is the 4 prong which has a ground. I am guessing you are saying the adapter does not need an extra ground connection?

Yes. This is what I ordered but was concerned. So this will work just fine? Thank you for replying.

It strips the neutral line from the mix and gives you standard 240v power. It was pretty clear to me in the information/pictures for the item.

It strips the neutral line from the mix and gives you standard 240v power. It was pretty clear to me in the information/pictures for the item.

Thank you. Was a little nervous. I am ready to brew! Wish now I had bought the 110 but had to have the bigger power.

These are molded adapter cables. Not much can go wrong with them. It's not like you were looking to make one yourself.

I didn't even think about going with 110/120v when it came to making the jump to electric. I do wish I had gone with the panel I have on order the first time. Actually, no, I don't because they've made improvements over the previous design that I can take advantage of. I did get a sparky to provide me the correct outlet (14-50) in the garage to run the power to the panel. I've already run a cable from that to where I'll connect to the panel (when brewing outside at least). IF I need to, I can get a longer cable to go from the panel to the extension (panel comes with a 6' cable, I've already seen 10' versions). I'm just hoping I won't need to. I'm also getting ready for brewing in the winter where I'll be setting up in the garage (warmer weather is in the driveway, under a canopy). We might even do some batches in the garage before winter. Basically, the weather really won't be a factor moving forward.

Generally speaking, if something can run on either 110/120v or 220/240v it will use the same amount of watts. Which means under 220/240v it will pull less amps from the panel. For things like motors you can run cooler due to this. I'm sure something similar happens inside the control panels. Either for the SSR or some other components will run cooler than trying to do the same with the lower voltage.

Depending on where you are, as well, you probably have 240v at the outlet. I know I have the three 240v outlets in the garage (now). Basically, the 5500w elements are pulling less amps to make power than if I was using 220v or something other than 240v. Typically, in the US, residential power is 120v/240v. A lot of people just call it 110v/220v. Commerical (three phase) is a different story.

You are far more advanced. I have only brewed with extract and I went crazy and bought all the gadgets
Still watching videos putting fermenters glycol chiller and all in one together. And of course had to have all the gadgets which I probably did not need

I sent a link to the adapter i actually bought. The one you sent was not the right 4 prong. But it has to be approved by moderator

I recently upgraded from keggles to Spike kettles (TC fittings). 15 gallon HLT and MT, with a 20 gallon BK. Got two of their CF10 fermenters fitted for using with a glycol chiller (got the BrewBuilt Max 2) as well as using a spunding valve (got a second one coming, so one on each). I like to ferment under pressure.
Thinking about getting anther CF10 so we can also do cider/mead while still having two fermenters for beers. I also have the CIP ball (two for these actually) for cleaning all of the above. Got the Spike steam condenser lid along with the BK.
I'm in the process of making the mounting setup for the eBrewSupply control panel I have on order. That will go to the brew stand that I started back in 2012.

For the adapter, as long as the 4 connector end is right for what you're plugging it into, and the other is correct for what you're connecting to it, you'll be fine.

lived in the Melbourne area for about 11 years. Left FL (or "Hell" as I call it) in 1997 and have zero desire to even visit. Much happier being in NH.

I use my milling machine (Grizzly G0761 'benchtop') to make a lot of things. That uses one of the 240v outlets. The other is either my compressor (60 gallon) or MIG welder. Of course, I'm probably going to buy my friend's Hypertherm plasma cutter off him since he has a new (next level up) one to use with the CNC plasma table he has on order. I don't plasma cut much, but it's nice to have for some things.
Next place I move to (a house of my own) will have a full workshop area (plan to get a good size lathe after that and maybe a CNC mill). Plus a dedicated brewing location (either as part of the structure, or a new one). I have several more plans for that, just waiting for the housing market to stop being "full retard" for prices. I'm not paying tens of thousands over value or getting into a bidding war with someone. Especially when those people are from other states and have no real interest in even living at the location.

According to this the 220V Grainfather has a NEMA 6-15 plug on the supplied cord. The adapter you ordered is the correct one to use, as its receptacle will accept either a NEMA 6-15 or 6-20 plug.

Brew on :mug:
Thank you. Looking forward

Back