Actual volume of a corny keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
I am at work otherwise I would measure it out......but a corny keg must hold more than 5 gallons. Does anybody know how much more? It got me wondering if I am really filling up the kegs to the 5 gallon mark. I usually fill to 4-6 inches from the top of the keg and assume that is 5 gallons. Anybody know the total volume of a corny keg?

I cut the gas tubes on my cornies to allow a little more volume. I formulate my recipes for 5.5 gals and sometimes need the extra volume.

The weld line at the top of ball locks is supposed to be exactly 5 gallons.

Don't know about pin locks.

I filled an Ale Pale with water o the 5 gal mark and dumped it into a ball lock corny. I took the picture below showing the water level below the dip tube. The 5 gal mark is indeed right at the weld line, 1 to 1.5 inches from the bottom of the gas dip tube.

meucg.jpg

If you're looking for exact or measurements, I wouldn't trust the lines on an ale pale. Try weighing it empty and full.

One fluid ounce of water weighs 1.043 dry ounces or 0.0652 pounds, and is 29.574 grams.

If you're looking for exact or measurements, I wouldn't trust the lines on an ale pale.

What is important to me is that if I have an Ale Pale filled to the 5 gal mark, then I know that all of the liquid it contains will fit in the corny with room to spare.

Most people trust the Ale Pale for measuring and calculating priming sugar when bottling. Certainly it is not a precise piece of scientific equipment, but I think it falls into the realm of "close enough" for these purposes.

What is important to me is that if I have an Ale Pale filled to the 5 gal mark, then I know that all of the liquid it contains will fit in the corny with room to spare.

Most people trust the Ale Pale for measuring and calculating priming sugar when bottling. Certainly it is not a precise piece of scientific equipment, but I think it falls into the realm of "close enough" for these purposes.

That's fine and dandy. I too go with the measurements as 'close enough'. It just seemed like Phunhog was looking for a precise measurement for the total volume.

Back